mha were appointed to carry out stage1 restoration of the Former RIC Barracks Building, Market Square, Dungannon, a grade B1 listed building under ref: HB13/20/010.
mha achieved planning and listed building consent for the following essential repairs:
- Address dry rot;
- Repair roof/wall plate;
- Remove all previous substandard wall/structures completed by RUC;
- Repair leadwork to turret;
- Clean existing stonework;
- Repairs heads/cills;
- Repair gutters & downpipes;
- Repair/refurbish existing sliding sash windows;
- Secure existing outbuildings roofs/ walls etc…
On completion, the building was left that it could be used for various uses such as community or residential space.
During our research, we obtained the original architectural drawings from the National Archives in Dublin.
These plans greatly assisted in understanding the buildings use and construction.
There is a similar RIC Barracks in Caherciveen, Co Kerry completed by the same Architect.